It has been a year of many events for the IFSR. At the Board Meeting in 2004 we accepted an offer from the International Society of Knowledge and Systems Science, one of our members, to hold an IFSR-Congress in Japan. It was for the first time that IFSR itself took the lead in organising a congress of this kind. The Congress, called IFSR 2005, was held in Kobe, Japan, and was extraordinarily successful. We are including information and photos of this event.
Preparations for the IFSR 2005 Congress made us almost overlook the 25th anniversary of the founding of the IFSR. The celebration will take place at the EMCSR 2006 in Vienna, on Wednesday, April 19, 2006, with a whole day devoted to the past, present and future of IFSR. In the evening we will traditionally hold the IFSR’s Board Meeting.
Please read also about our plans to make some essential changes as to the manner in which we hold our Fuschl Conversations. The main purpose is to involve the Fuschl Conversations in the strategic planning of the IFSR, see the respective section for more details.
We are also reporting on two IFSR projects: “ESCO – The International Encyclopaedia of Systems and Cybernetics” led by Günther Ossimitz and the analysis of L. v. Bertalanffy’s legacy, led by Wolfgang Hofkirchner. Additionally you will find some update on the IFSR Book Series and on the Journal Systems Research and Behavioural Science.
It remains for me as your editor is to wish you
A Merry Christmas and a Successful, Healthy New Year!
I personally hope that the impulses from IFSR2005 will lead the IFSR into a much more active and useful role in the systems sciences!
Table of Contents
- IFSR Board Meeting 2006 …2
- 25 Years of the IFSR…3
- George Klir looks back…4
- Robert Trappl looks back…5
- Gerard de Zeeuw looks back…6
- More Memories …6
The official registration of the IFSR…7
- IFSR Newsletter of the IFSR …8
- Celebrating the 25th Anniversary in Vienna …9
IFSR 2005 Congress: The New Roles of Systems Sciences for a Knowledge-based Society…9
- Report of the Secretary/Treasurer …11
- Executive Committee Meeting, Cancun 2005 …12
- The Future Vision of IFSR…13
- Fuschl Conversation 2006 – the changes…15
- Our Members …16
- Fuschl Conversation 2004 Proceedings published! …17
- Systems Research and Behavioural Science …18
- The IFSR Book Series on Systems Science and Engineering …18
Project: Bertalanffy Center for the Study of Systems Science…19
- Project: ESCO – The International Encyclopaedia of Systems and Cybernetic …20
- The IFSR Website …20
- EMCSR 2006 …20
- Festschrift – Ernst von Glaserfeld, Ranulph Glanville …21
- ISSS 2006: 50 years of ISSS …22
- New Book by George Klir …23
- New Journal: IJKSS …24
- Closing Ceremony of IFSR 2005 …24