Proceedings of the Fourteenth Fuschl Conversation
Institute for Systems Engineering and Automation
Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria
Welcome to the Fuschl Conversation 2008!
Both 2005 (the First IFSR-Congress in Kobe, Japan) and the Fuschl Conversation 2006 created a new vision for IFSR position and goals in a continually more complex, more interdependent and more collision-bound world. The IFSR accepted this challenge. And thus it was quite natural also to employ the well-established bi-annual Fuschl Conversations to help the IFSR to achieve the new goals and challenges. As a consequence the topics chosen were more selected for their practicability and usability
for the Systems Movement at large and for IFSR as one of the key players.
This volume summarizes the findings of the Fuschl Conversation 2008. After a short introduction to the history of the Fuschl Conversations leading to 2006 the four team
reports are presented. Some overall information about IFSR concludes the volume.
The proceedings can also be read and downloaded via the IFSR’s new homepage at
http://www.ifsr.org. Many pictures of the Conversation, showing both the hard work and the ambience can also be found there.
Looking at these proceedings I am proud that we can show that IFSR – with the help of the Fuschl Conversation 2006 – will be able to even better serve the systems community and thus promote systems thinking.
Gerhard Chroust (Austria)
Secretary General IFSR
Table of Contents
- Welcome to the Fuschl Conversation 2008!… 4
- Looking back at Fuschl 2008… 5
- List of Participants… 6
- Reflection on Fuschl Participation… 7
- Photos from Fuschl 2008… 7
- Team 1: Informing the Development of Systems-Oriented Curricula at the University
- Level: The Systems Education Matrix… 8
- Topic 2: The trajectory of systems research and practice… 20
- Topic 3: Disseminating, Accessing and Communicating Systems Knowledge 27
- Systems Body of Knowledge: This Is Where Communication And Education Meet… 33
- Hierarchy Theory as a Mediator towards Systemics – an Example of Education and Innovations… 36
- Topic 4: Quality & Excellence in Systems Research… 43
- Appendix: What is the IFSR?… 45
- The History… 45
- Aims and Goals of the IFSR … 45
- IFSR Activities… 46
- Future Plans… 46