In the last several weeks I realized what it means to be without a secretary. My secretary left around May 1994 and, since certain procedures had to be followed, it has taken until now to provide me with another. This means that lots of work got delayed, especially this Newsletter. I hope that with the New year I will be able to be back on schedule. To make up for the delay we are providing you with a double issue, containing more than the usual amount of information and number of contributions.
We also take pleasure in presenting IFSR’s vice president, Prof. M. Jackson and we are happy to announce some interesting news with respect to IFSR’s journal SYSTEMS RESEARCH.
There will – unfortunately – also be another change in the Newsletter: Due to the limited funds available we decided that we could no longer afford a professional editor for the Newsletter. For this reason Dr. Stephen Sokoloff, by co-editor, who was especially concerned with the linguistic quality of the Newsletter, as well as with writing, obtaining and editing longer articles, will resign by the end of the year. The production of the Newsletter will hitherto be my sole responsibility. but I hope that Dr. Sokoloff will still provide me with interesting articles..
I therefore would like to thank Dr. Sokoloff for all his efforts for the Newsletter and I hope that I can keep up his tradition of high quality.
At last I would like to wish all members of the IFSR and readers of the Newsletter a happy Holiday Season and a Successful New Year.
Systemtechnik und Automation
Kepler University Linz, 4040 Linz, Austria
Table of Contents
- New Officers of the IFSR…1
Michael C. Jackson…2
- From IFSR’s Executive Committee: INVOLVING MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS…2
- New Trends
- Project Report…8
Cultural Aspects of Automation
- The Principia Cybernetica Web: a knowledge base for systems research
- Conference Report…9
The 94 Fuschl Conversation, Fuschl, Austria, April 10-15, 1994
- STIQE’92: Systems & Quality’92 1st Int. Meeting on Linking Systems Thinking and Total Quality Management, Maribor, Dec 10-12, 1992
- News from the Book market…8
- IFSR lnternational Series on Systems Science and Engineering…11
- Fuzzy Measure Theory
- The Stalford Beer Classic Library
- IFSR International Series on Systems Science and Engineering
- What is new in “SYSTEMS RESEARCH”?…12
- Conference Announcements…14
- EUROCAST’gs. Sth lnt. Workshop on Computer Aided Systems Technology (CAST)
- Problems of Excavating Cybernetics and Systems Amsterdam, April 17-21, 1 994
- Xll lnt. Conf. on Systems Science Techn. University Wroclaw, Sept 12-15, 95
- From our Member societies: The 1994 ISSS Annual Meeting…14
- Discussion Groups on the lnternet Relevant to Cybernetics…15
- Calendar of Events…16
- News from the IFSR…17