During my term I was able to accomplish the following goals:
1. Substantially increase the number of member organizations. When I started we had three members and now we have a total of 17.
2. Improve the flow of information among members. I put together a bulletin which I mailed out at least twice a year.
3. Enable affiliate members to participate in the decision-making process by inviting them to the board meetings
4. Encourage ongoing IFSR activities. I tried to support the Fuschl Meetings, Systems Research. Newsletter. etc. not only financially but also by establishing or maintaining contacts with governmental organizations, publishers, the press, etc. You are cordially invited to see the voluminious correspondence which that entailed.
5. Raise additional funds for the IFSR. I had previously managed to obtain an annual grant of 200000 Austrian schillings (about 16.500 U.S. dollars) from the Austrian Federal Government. During my term, the full members paid their dues – for the first time’ I succeeded in getting a contract from the Austrian Federal Ministry for Science and Research to compile and edit “Basic and Applied General Systems Research.”
6. The considerable amount of labor which was necessary to keep the organization running smoothly was performed free-of-charge. I was. however, richly rewarded for my efforts since I enjoyed working with the board members. I got to know many new colleagues. several of whom I now regard as my friends.
At our board meeting on April 4, 1988 we elected the new officers and defined their roles and responsibilities The president is Prof. Gerrit Broekstra (Netherlands), the vice-president Prof Franz Pichler (Austria) and the secretary-treasurer Bela Banathy (USA)
Franz Pichler, Vice-President: will supervise the Newsletter and maintain contacts with UNESCO Please send all information regarding the IFSR-Newsletter to him:
Prof. Dr. Franz Pichler
Department of Systems Science.
University of Linz
Electronic Mail: K 3232901/ aearn, Bitnet
Bela Banathy, Secretary-Treasurer: is in charge of members, both old and new ones. Please send him all the information regarding your organization, e.g. changes of address, new president, etc. You should also provide Franz Pichler with a copy of such notices for the Newsletter.
Prof Dr. Bela Banathy
Far West Laboratory
1855 Folsom Street
San Francisco, California 94103
Secretariat in Vienna: is in charge of 1) the finance of the organization, 2) forwarding letters and 3) correspondence with Austrian governmental institutions. For those who want to contact our new president during his sabbatical leave, especially regarding the activities of the IFSR. here are his address and phone numbers:
Prof. Dr. Ir. Gerrit Broekstra,
J.L. Kellog School of Management
2001 Sheridan Road
Evanston, Illinois 60201
Phone (312) 491-3470
Home number (312) 743-5941.
Finally, I would like to extend my best wishes to the members of the new Executive Committee, I hope you will be very succesful in all of your endeavors.